Why Bone Grafting Is NOT Scary!
Dental bone grafts may be necessary if bone loss has impacted the health of your teeth and gums. It is a procedure used to increase the amount of bone in your jaw. This may be necessary due to bone loss, or if additional support is needed in your jaw. The procedure can drastically improve your oral health. Now, let’s look at why bone grafting is NOT scary.
Why Bone Grafting Is NOT Scary!
Below you will find more information about the procedure and why bone grafting is NOT scary.
Types of Dental Bone Grafts
If your dentist recommends a bone graft, there are multiple options available depending on your unique dental needs. The following are the various types of bone grafts and their respective differences.
- Autografts: This type of bone graft involves bone from your own body. It is often taken from your jaw or hip. The bone is harvested from the area and includes living cells that promote healing. Autografts are considered to be the gold standard of bone grafts.
- Allografts: This type of bone graft involves bone from another person’s body. This is a highly beneficial option as there is no surgical site on your own body as it is taken from someone else. One of the main myths about this type of bone graft is that your body may reject the bone, but this is not true as the cells that prompt rejection are removed during the process.
- Xenografts: This type of bone graft involves bone taken from another species. This is often a pig, cow, or coral. These are similar to allografts and are highly safe.
- Alloplasts: Unlike the other three bone grafts, this type uses synthetic materials. Calcium phosphate and calcium sodium phosphosilicate are often used.
Candidates for Bone Grafting
There are a number of reasons why you may need bone grafting. There are a variety of benefits to getting the procedure if it is necessary for your oral health. You may be a good candidate for a bone graft if any of the following apply to you.
- Dental Implants: Bone grafting in Diamond Bar is beneficial for those who need dental implants to replace missing teeth. It can help provide a strong base for a dental implant to ensure that it lasts.
- Gum Disease: Gum disease can impact the bone in your jaw if it goes untreated. Bone grafting can help support an area of your jaw that is weakened due to gum disease-related bone loss. Stabilizing your jaw can help prevent future bone loss.
- Bone Loss: The natural aging process can come with bone loss due to the impact of osteoporosis. Bone loss on its own is more common in older adults and can dramatically change the look of one’s face. With that, a bone graft can help restore the area of one’s jaw impacted by bone loss.
Bone Grafting Procedure
A dentist in Diamond Bar can determine whether you need a bone graft or not. Once it has been determined that you are a good candidate for the procedure, you can discuss which type of bone graft is right for you. Once the type of bone graft has been determined, the procedure itself is fast and smooth. One of the major benefits of the procedure is its success rate. Full recovery can take between 2 to 4 months, but each patient is different so it can vary. Once you are fully recovered the grafted bone is a part of your jaw.
If you are concerned about your oral health and think you may need a bone graft due to bone loss, gum disease, or tooth loss, contact Diamond Bar Dental Studio. They are skilled in various types of bone grafts and have helped countless patients restore their oral health. Contact their office today for a consultation!
Share Medication Updates
If you have changed your medications, supplements, or vitamins, let your dentist know. Certain medications have side effects that can impact your oral health. Additionally, high blood pressure and depression can increase your risk for gum disease. Letting your dentist know about any updates can help them address the potential side effects so they don’t impact your oral health.
Ask for Oral Care Tips
Take advantage of the knowledge your dentist has and ask for oral care tips. They can help provide you with recommendations that are based on your unique needs. Whether it’s oral care techniques or products, see what your dentist suggests. They may even be able to provide you with samples.
Consider Sedation Dentistry Options
For anyone who has skipped the dentist due to dental fear or anxiety, sedation dentistry may be right for you. It can help keep you comfortable and at ease during your appointment. It is a helpful option so you don’t put your oral health at risk due to your anxiety.
General Dentistry in Diamond Bar
If you need to schedule your next dental checkup, contact the team at Diamond Bar Dental Studio. They are skilled in general dentistry in Diamond Bar and are focused on your long-term oral health needs. Contact their office today to schedule an appointment!
646 N. Diamond Bar Blvd.
Diamond Bar, CA 91765