Please read the following post-operative instructions carefully.
- If you have any pain or discomfort take a combination of anti-inflammatory ibuprofen (2 tablets of Advil 200mg) and acetaminophen (2 tablets of extra strength Tylenol 500mg) every 8 hours
- Do not rinse your mouth for the first 24 hours following procedure
- Do not spit or use straws for drinking to prevent blood clot dislodgement
- Soft food diet
- For 1-2 days discontinue your usual exercise regime
- Do Not smoke. Will delay healing and irritates the tissues. The act of smoking itself can cause the loss of the blood clot, which can cause dry sockets and ensuing discomfort and complication.
- Ice packs may be applied to the outside of the face over the area of surgery for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for the first 24 hours after surgery to reduce swelling.
- If you see traces of blood in your saliva for several hours after the procedure that is normal. It is not uncommon to have slight bleeding.
- If the site continues to bleed, apply constant pressure with a gauze or a moistened tea bag for up to 1 hour and repeat if necessary.
- Some swelling is to be expected
- To reduce swelling, Ice packs may be applied to the outside of the face over the area of surgery for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.
- If an ice pack is not available a plastic bag with ice cubes works as a nice substitute.
- If swelling and discomfort persist, warm wet compresses may be used over the area on the second subsequent days. This is to be applied for 20 minutes on and 40 minutes off for 3 hours each day.
- If the swelling persists and continues to increase, you may have an infection.
- During the first week please carefully brush but do not brush the surgery site.
- Beginning the day AFTER the procedure, warm salt water rinses (½ teaspoon salt mixed with 6oz. Of warm water) can be used 2 times a day.
- May be prescribed depending upon the surgical procedure. Please take as directed.
- Not all surgeries need antibiotics. We are trying to do our part to fight the growing epidemic of antibiotics resistant superbugs.
- Soft foods that provide nourishment after surgery are the best.
- Chew on the opposite side of your mouth and avoid any extremely hard, hot or spicy foods.
- You may be seen for a post operative appointment within 10 days (2 weeks) following surgery
Please call us if you have any questions or concerns